James D. MillerAttorney
- About James
- Articles + Presentations
- Distinctions + Awards
- Civic Involvement
- Professional Affiliations
Jim finds great fulfillment in assisting clients to meet their legal needs during often challenging, sensitive and complex circumstances.
Jim focuses his practice on family law, municipal law and education. He served as a county prosecutor and assistant attorney general prior to entering into private practice. Jim has advised and represented state, county, and township officials on various matters involving public records, open meetings, contracts, real estate, construction, zoning, levy and bond issues, bid packages, regulatory and compliance, policy and procedures review, employment matters, as well as litigation. He serves as Special Counsel to the Village of New Bremen; the Monroe Township Board of Zoning Appeals; and, the Ohio Educational Services Center Association.
Coupling his public service experience, Jim advises clients in matters involving family law, domestic relations, divorce, dissolution, post-decree modification and enforcement, juvenile, custody, and estate planning. He understands that these intimate matters require compassionate and caring representation, along with strenuous advocacy to uphold his clients’ rights regarding family law matters. Jim also assists clients in obtaining civil protection orders, stalking protection orders, and protection orders on behalf of minor children to protect clients in vulnerable situations from emotional and physical abuse. He finds particular satisfaction in assisting survivors of domestic violence or abuse and LGBTQ+ families with their legal needs to ensure they are protected in all aspects of their family, health care, estate planning, employment matters, and general civil legal needs. Jim serves as an Advocate for the Ohio Civil Rights Commission; Ohio Domestic Violence Network; and, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission of Ohio.
Certified by the American Arbitration Association, Jim hears binding arbitration matters with respect to labor and employment grievances and negotiations, and has served as a mediator to assist parties resolve disputes by alternative dispute resolution means.
Jim is also a Certified Title IX, 504 and ADA Coordinator, and has provided training to countless public officials on compliance requirements involving Title IX, Clery Act, VAWA, FERPA, US DOE Office of Civil Rights guidance letters, and EEO/AA labor regulations. He has trained public officials and school boards on topics germane to public service such as Ohio’s Sunshine Laws, Ethics Laws, facilities construction contracts, and collective bargaining.
Articles + Presentations
- Comprehensive Overview of Title IX (Presenter, Ohio Attorney General, May 2017)
- Title IX and Clery Act Update; Emotional Support Animals and Service Animals on Campus; Employment Law Update (Presenter, Ohio Attorney General: Annual Symposium for Two-Year College Administrators, November 2016)
- Update on Title IX, Student and Faculty Misconduct (Presenter, Ohio Wesleyan University, May 2016)
- Title IX and Due Process (Presenter, Ohio Department of Education, March 2016)
- Campus Responsibilities Regarding Title IX Compliance (Presenter, Hocking College, December 2015)
- Ohio Ethics Law Training (Presenter, Association for Community College Trustees, June 2015)
- Certified Arbitrator/Mediator in Employment Law (American Arbitration Association)
- Certified Title IX Coordinator (ATIXA)
- Certified 504/ADA Coordinator (ATIXA)
Distinctions + Awards
- Community Service Award Honoree – Ohio Educational Services Center Association
- Citizen’s Commendation Community Service Award Honoree – Columbus State Community College Police Department
- Community Service Award Honoree – Lorain City School District
- Ohio Domestic Violence Network – Panel Member
- Ohio Attorney General’s Public Service Mock Trial Competition – Coach
- Democratic Lawyers of Dayton
- Licking County Kids’ Team – Former Board of Directors
- Ohio Alliance to End Sexual Violence – Former Board of Directors
- Dayton Bar Association
- Allen County Bar Association
- Ohio Municipal Attorneys Association
- Ohio State Bar Association – Family Law Committee; Juvenile Law Committee; Administrative Law Committee; Labor and Employment Committee
- American Bar Association
- International Municipal Lawyers Association
The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, JD
The Ohio State University, BA magna cum laude
U.S. Court of Appeals – Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Court – Southern District of Ohio
U.S. District Court – Northern District of Ohio
Want to learn more?
We are committed to protecting our clients and providing clear, honest information.
Contact us today and experience the difference "straight answers" can make.