John A. HallbauerAttorney
John takes on the legal challenges so clients can take them off their minds.
His extensive experience includes handling a wide variety of financial institution and commercial matters in state and federal courts, including bankruptcy and probate courts. As Of Counsel to the firm, John assists clients in:
First Amendment Matters
Probate Matters and Litigation
Real Estate Transactions and Litigation
John frequently lectures and writes on ethics and the unauthorized practice of law and advises lawyer-clients on ethics matters.
When Skill Matters
- Stopped the operation of a national “trust mill” in Ohio as the unauthorized practice of law.
- Represented insureds in successfully obtaining defense coverage determinations in federal district court and Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defended a major regional bank’s trust administration practices, obtaining a unanimous reversal of an adverse judgment in the Ohio Supreme Court.
- Successfully resolved trust administration cases through removal and surcharge judgments by both trial and settlement.
- Obtained favorable rulings and settlements in shareholders dispute cases and cases involving licenses and patents.
- Prevailed in the defense of many lender liability suits in state and federal courts.
Articles + Presentations
- Malpractice or Misconduct: “Owning Up” to Mistakes May Make the Difference and Save Your License (Author, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Journal)
- At Issue: “Independence for Paralegals” (Author, ABA Journal)
Distinctions + Awards
- Top Rated Lawyers – Trusts and Estates Law
- AV-Preeminent Rated (Martindale-Hubbell)
- American Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association – Ethics and Professionalism Committee, Past-Chair; Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee, Past-Chair; Character and Fitness Committee; Grievance Committee
Case Western Reserve University School of Law, J.D.
Albion College, B.A.
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals – Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Court – Northern District of Ohio
Want to learn more?
We are committed to protecting our clients and providing clear, honest information.
Contact us today and experience the difference "straight answers" can make.