Brian E. RoofAttorney
- About Brian
- When Skill Matters
- Articles + Presentations
- Distinctions + Awards
- Civic Involvement
- Professional Affiliations
Brian focuses his practice on insurance coverage disputes and commercial litigation. His experience includes representing insurers and insureds in litigation involving policy and coverage interpretation, analysis, research, and investigation. Brian also represents clients in dispute resolution, class actions, multi-district litigation, and appellate advocacy. Externing for Federal District Judge Patricia Gaughan, Brian learned to analyze disputes from the perspective of both plaintiff and defendant, giving him a unique ability to litigate matters in a compelling and strategic manner.
When Skill Matters
- Represented pharmaceutical manufacturer in multi-party insurance coverage dispute in federal court involving a $100 million products liability class action.
- Obtained insurance defense coverage going forward and reimbursement of past defense costs for a sub-contractor embroiled in a multi-party, complex litigation.
- Obtained summary judgment for an insurer that there was no insurance coverage for a Telephone Consumer Protection Act class action. The appellate court affirmed summary judgment.
- Represented a large manufacturer in federal court against allegations that it had corporate successor liability in a lawsuit involving 100 maritime asbestos cases with potential exposure in the millions of dollars.
- Represented Fortune 500 retailer in federal court class action involving claims of alleged defective flushable wipes.
- Represented insurer in coverage dispute involving products claims under CGL policy worth more than $15 million.
- Represented clients in insurance coverage cases in state and federal courts involving business interruption for extensive losses sustained by businesses from the COVID-19 shutdown and physical property damage caused by the Coronavirus.
- Represented law firm in class action relating to claims of fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented sub-contractors in insurance coverage disputes involving alleged construction defects.
- Represented steel manufacturer in contract dispute regarding what qualified as recycled steel under the contract.
- Corporate Ethics and Compliance Management – The John Cook School of Business at St. Louis University
Articles + Presentations
- New Appleman Ohio Insurance Law (Contributing Author, 2023 Edition)
- Evaluating the Liability Insurer’s Duty to Defend (Contributing Author, New Appleman Ohio Insurance Law, 2018 Edition)
- Responding to Tender (Contributing Author, New Appleman Ohio Insurance Law, 2018 Edition)
- Practicing Insurance Coverage Law in Ohio (Author, Coverage Opinions, December 2016)
- When Claims Go Sideways – What an Agent Needs to Know to Protect the Client and Agency E&O (Presenter, Insurance Board of Northern Ohio, February 2016)
- Changes to ISO’s CGL Forms in Light of Cyber Claims (Presenter, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, Cyber Insurance Seminar, November 2015)
- JEOPARDY: Bad Faith Grab Bag of Fun Facts and Issues (Panelist, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association, May 2015)
- The Rights and Remedies of the Forgotten Additional Insured (Author, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association Bar Journal, February 2015)
Distinctions + Awards
- Ohio Super Lawyers
- AV-Preeminent Peer Review Rated (Martindale-Hubbell)
- Citizens Academy, Citizens Academy East, and Citizens Academy Southeast – Past Board Member and Past Interim Board Chair
- Notre Dame Lawyers’ Alumni Committee – Past Secretary and Vice President
- Linking Employment, Abilities & Potential (LEAP) – Past President
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association – Insurance Law Committee
- S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio – Advisory Group
- Eighth District Judicial Conference – Appointed Delegate
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Appellate Advocacy
- Class Action
- Commercial/Business Litigation
- Professional Liability
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D. cum laude
- University of Notre Dame, B.A. cum laude
- U.S. Court of Appeals – Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of Ohio
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of Ohio